Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Textual Analysis NABs - HSN forum

Textual Analysis NABs

19 replies to this topic

#1 HatingHighers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 03:32 PM

I have my textual analysis NAB tomorrow, so for practice I did the textual analysis from the 2002 Higher Paper (the one about the Jaguar Throne).

Now I'm depressed...

After marking it myself I had a mark of 21/30. However, I have a tendency to give myself a couple of extra marks where I've said something different from whats in the marking scheme, but I feel my interpretation/comment is at least partly apt.

Aaaaaaaanyway, my question is, will any of the NABs be as evil and hard as the 2002 Paper? We've been told our NAB is on a prose piece (thank f*ck).

Ugh, I hate English!

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 16 January 2005 - 03:37 PM

eh well there is no textual analysis in the actual paper anymore so what i think they did was put what would go in the paper into a NAB so they could be of the same level but really they are not that bad basically its just analysis of techniques used by the writer if you can learn each technique and its effect on a piece you should be fine. Being able to indentify them in a piece is obviously vital for this to work

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 HatingHighers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 04:02 PM

I can do the technique questions OK. It's usually the last question(s) I get stuck on sad.gif Any tips for those?

#4 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 16 January 2005 - 04:06 PM

I take it you mean the questions where they ask you to look at the passage as a whole well basically there are mini essays os you want to quote important parts and interpret what is being said to reach a conclusion. This question would have the same format as the essays ie: into-> middle/arguement -> conclusion

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#5 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:01 PM

Here is some advice from the SQA website about the comparison questions which may be useful:

Comparison questions
There will always be at least one question at the end of the paper requiring comparison of the passages. You will have to compare and evaluate the ideas in the passages, or the styles in which they are written, or both of these.

Be very careful to establish whether you are to answer on style or on ideas, and stick to the task.

You will always have to make reference to both passages, although you don’t have to give each of them the same amount of attention.

The best answers to these questions are often like little essays in which you develop a clear point of view about the passages, supporting each statement with specific reference to the passages.  Poor answers are usually a list of random thoughts with no clear line of thought.

When answering on style, it is acceptable to make some use of material from previous answers, but it is a good idea to introduce a few 'new' points.

When answering on ideas, try to go beyond simply summarising what the writers have said; it is likely that your opinion is being asked for - so it is quite acceptable for you to give this, provided it is linked appropriately to ideas in the passages.

Hint: have a brief look at the comparison question(s) before you start, so that while you are working your way through the other questions and becoming more familiar with the ideas and styles of the passages, you will be able to give some thought to what you might say in the comparison question(s).

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/sqa_nu_display.j...e=Content.show&

#6 HatingHighers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 05:29 PM

Thank you. The "hint" will definitely help me out - never thought about tackling it like that before.

I had my NAB today - it was a passage on Laidlaw. Thought it was pretty difficult and hope I've passed blink.gif

#7 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 01:48 PM

My teacher hinted that my class should do that- I'm suprised yours didn't, it is very good advice.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#8 HatingHighers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:47 PM

Yay! I passed!!! biggrin.gif

#9 chicken licking

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE(HatingHighers @ Jan 19 2005, 10:47 PM)
Yay! I passed!!!  biggrin.gif

View Post

Congrats! I knew you had it in you...

#10 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:50 PM

I managed to pass my Textual Analysis nab (I got a cool 15/30 cool.gif Mine was really hard. It was a poem about the coast and it was hard as hell! In one of the lower Higher classes only 3 people passed it and my school is still quite high performing.

Anyway I am glad it's over. My english teacher left us hanging for a long time...but it's all good biggrin.gif

#11 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:39 PM

Hey I only got 16 in my TA actual NAB
Its k
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#12 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:Gymnastics, watching TV, listening to music, shopping

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:24 PM

SERIOUS HELP NEEDED!!!!!!!
I have my 2nd Textual Analysis Nab tomorrow so I need some quick helpful tips - I'm not very good at them! Actually not very good at them at all!!!!! sad.gif

Please help

user posted image
(`'•.Έ(`'•.Έ Έ.•'΄)Έ.•'΄)
x..*...x•..•°.Amanda loves Craig•..•°.x...*..x
(Έ.•'΄(Έ.•'΄ `'•.Έ)`'•.Έ)

#13 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:39 PM

I can see know one has replied to my post but can some one PLEASE help. I'm on my last textual Analysis and need to pass it! I'm stressing out! sad.gif Poor me!!

Please, any useful tips will be grateful!

user posted image

#14 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:49 PM

Basically focus on certain quotes and analyse them fully, not just little explinations! Remember things like colons emphasising pauses, words that are onomatopoeic (sp?) enhancing sound etc.

Hope that helps! smile.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#15 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:55 PM

Thanx! It's just Im really worrying now, because we done the second one today and it was solid. I only got half way through the questions! sad.gif An so I'm now on my last chance!!! Aghhhh ohmy.gif

user posted image

#16 roboticsdepartment

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:39 AM

laidlaw! i love it so much. we did it for int2 last year, and i'm doing it for higher this year! pretty lucky there smile.gif

#17 stephd1990

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:23 PM

hey i recently sat my textual analysis
i sat int2 failed that
sat int 1 passed that
resat int 2 passed that
sat higher laidlaw passed that 19/30< 2nd highest mark in class biggrin.gif
confusing or what

#18 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:03 PM

textual analysis is one of those things in life you have no control over...you go in and hope you pass...then you beg for resits

#19 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(HatingHighers @ Jan 17 2005, 05:29 PM) View Post
Thank you. The "hint" will definitely help me out - never thought about tackling it like that before.

I had my NAB today - it was a passage on Laidlaw. Thought it was pretty difficult and hope I've passed blink.gif

I did that one today, but I passed the NAB a few months ago so it was just practice really =)

♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#20 MuffinMuncher

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:23 PM

I'm doing a textual analysis NAB next week and I'm hoping to do well on it since it's the only NAB I've still to pass in english! And that hint was great! It should help a lot cause I always hate them questions at the end. Thanks!
"Who's Gonna Take Us Seriously If We Don't Have A Laser Pointer?!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users