Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Higher Biology - HSN forum - Page 4

Advanced Higher Biology

75 replies to this topic

#61 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:I can't be arsed writing anything here. And I hate writing about myself anyway.

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:37 PM

Hey,
can anyone tell me the role of the mitotic spindle? I cant find anything about it in my notes.
Thanks. huh.gif

#62 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:25 PM

The spindle fibres in anaphase, I think, pull sister chromatids apart in opposite directions by contracting. Here's a good link for mitosis:

http://www.cellsalive.com/mitosis.htm
IPB Image

#63 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 18 September 2005 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(Jas0n @ Sep 18 2005, 12:25 AM)
The spindle fibres  in anaphase, I think, pull sister chromatids apart in opposite directions by contracting. Here's a good link for mitosis:

http://www.cellsalive.com/mitosis.htm

View Post

nice link wink.gif

I have one too: http://www.biology.arizona.edu/cell_bio/tu...cle/cells3.html ( <- it has animations at the bottom as well)

#64 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:I can't be arsed writing anything here. And I hate writing about myself anyway.

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:36 PM

kool, thanks guys! biggrin.gif

#65 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:40 AM

Does anyone know of any advanced higher biology books/ websites (except for scholar) that would be helpful for revising for the exam.
We dont have any proper textbooks for a.h bio, we only use scholar, which I sometimes find rather difficult to understand, so if anyone could help that would be great.

#66 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:39 PM

check out the NQ resources : http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/nq/resources/...Advanced+Higher

#67 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(YIC @ Oct 29 2005, 03:39 PM)

Thanks.

#68 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 30 October 2005 - 12:10 PM

Not sure if it's been posted before, but this site is pretty good for AH Bio investigations:

http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/prac_starters.htm

#69 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:47 AM

Hey,
can anyone help me with this question:

Name & describe the processes which synthesize and breakdown saccharides.
Thanks.

#70 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 05:00 PM

I can't quite remember the details, but carbohydrates like glucose and maltose are synthesized through dehydration sythesis and broken down through hydrolysis. The same should apply for polysaccharides like glycogen. Scholar has very detailed descriptions about carbohydrates, fats and proteins. I found it quite useful to read through it last year. But you dont have to learn it in as much detail for the exams. Hope this helps smile.gif
IPB Image

#71 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(Jas0n @ Nov 1 2005, 06:00 PM)
I can't quite remember the details, but carbohydrates like glucose and  maltose are synthesized through dehydration sythesis and broken down through hydrolysis. The same should apply for polysaccharides like glycogen.  Scholar has very detailed descriptions about carbohydrates, fats and proteins. I found it quite useful to read through it last year. But you dont have to learn it in as much detail for the exams. Hope this helps  smile.gif

View Post

yeh, this helped, thanks! smile.gif

#72 celticlinzi67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:06 PM

hey ! im doing my first nab on monday, on the cell unit, not even been given a practise nab or anything and we've NEVER done any questions or anything so not really sure what to expect at all. does anyone have a copy of a NAB or anything that they could send me so i've at least got some idea what to expect?

are there any study books at all for this course??? my teachers just teaching it by projecting the scholar website onto the wall (a nightmare for me cos iv lost my glasses and cant read something that far away!) also we're using something by dart publishing, which is ok but its like reading a novel almost, nothing is split into separate headings or anything

anyway if anyones interested im also doing AH english, and H chemistry, maths, french and modern studies (which is so incredibly happily easy!!!) is anyone else doing AH english and if so any ideas for the dissertation???

oh yeh and to the person whos not getting accepted for medicine, are you completely sure you've got no chance? a friend of mine seems to be getting in ok even though the only science shes got from 5th year is physics. right enough she got 5 A band1s n shes v persistant so maybe thats why!!!

was anyone at the

#73 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:00 PM

I found the nabs to be pretty straightforward last year. I think its out of 30 marks and you need 18 to pass. I would actually recommend reading the scholar books. Just have a look at the wee revision points at the end of each unit (for the first unit miss out the bit about microscopes) . I think you get about 10 multiple choice questions. Most of the questions are worth 1 or 2 marks. So its ok if you can't answer some of them- but I doubt you'll find them that hard.

Last year for the course we got given monographs and some question sheets to work through. The level of detail wasn't very high in these textbooks but it was enough for the NABs and also sufficient for the exams (except for some questions). IMO the best method is to make sure you've read your monographs/textbooks that the teachers give you and learn from scholar on the side. I found scholar very useful with the essays and some bits of the course that wasn't very well explained by our teachers. We only got one period every week so I didn't have much choice really.

Good luck with the nab!
IPB Image

#74 celticlinzi67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 12:42 PM

im gonna sound really dumb, but whats a monograph???

sorry, shoot me now

#75 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:25 PM

they are the AH bio books made by LT Scotland

#76 Soph.E.

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:22 PM

Just wondering if there's any easy way of remembering which monosaccharides make up the disaccharides (e.g. sucrose contains an alpha (1-2) linkage between glucose and fructose). Also, will we actually be required to remember this for NABs/the exam? This is the only bit I'm really struggling to remember! Does anyone have easy ways of memorising anything else?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users