Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Higher Biology - HSN forum

Advanced Higher Biology

75 replies to this topic

#1 Louisa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 07:33 PM

Hi everyone,

Just looking for any books that contain questions for Advanced Higher biology because I know there were some for higher biology.

Does anyone know of any titles?

Louisa huh.gif

#2 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 07:03 PM

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone if doing advanced biology this year sice there seems to be no posts on this subject. I'm doing Advanced Maths , physics as well. Happy days rolleyes.gif
IPB Image

#3 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:42 PM

Hi smile.gif

I'm doing advanced higher biology this year aswell. I, know, it's weird, there seem to be hardly and people on here that actually do biology at all. (I'm doing advanced higher chemistry and music too)

Where are you in the course? We have just started structure of lipids, having just finished carbohydrates. We only get 3 taught periods a week, so we have to do quite a bit of work on our own. I think the course has been ok so far, but there is soooo much to remember!

We are going on a trip to Glasgow Science Centre next Thursday for a conference/debate thing on stem cell research. I think most schools in the area were notified about it, maybe you are going too??

I think it would be good to have some biology notes on this site, coz we are quite limited with just using scholar all the time. Not sure how much demand there would be for them though, as not many people on here seem to do biology.

Do you know of any other good websites etc for Biology notes? (other than scholar?)

Good to hear from another biologist lol tongue.gif they are so rare biggrin.gif

Laura

(YAY!! my 100th post woohoo!!) lol biggrin.gif

#4 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 07:58 PM

Hey Laura,

We have like two teachers at the moment. With one teacher we have passed Cell differentiation and Cancer cells. With the other teacher we are doing Enzymes at the moment. This year is sooo wierd coz adv highers are self research and self study which is kinda crap but I suppose it is a good preperation for university.

We did a field trip to Vane farm in Fife about two weeks ago which IMHO was useless... at least for now. However we are doing some practicals at college tommorrow. We also have to go to another school just to do this course which also kinda sucks. And no we don't have that conference thing...I like in Falkirk btw. Tell me how you got on smile.gif
IPB Image

#5 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:02 PM

Oh about websites...my teacher says Scholar is quite useless when it comes to this course..so I'm sticking to good old books. However, there must be tons of other websites....google it wink.gif
IPB Image

#6 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(Jas0n @ Sep 30 2004, 08:02 PM)
Oh about websites...my teacher says Scholar is quite useless when it comes to this course..so I'm sticking to good old books. However, there must be tons of other websites....google it  wink.gif

View Post

lol tongue.gif will def try 'googlin' it

where in the course are enzymes, coz i don't think we've got to that yet......

#7 Emsy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:12 PM

hey, I'm doin adv bio as well,along with adv maths. I'm just online now tryin 2 find out some info 4 my investigation (on the effect of tea tree oil on bacteria)! has ne1 else started doin that yet?seems like it shood b quite good bt kinda tricky since you have 2 do it all yourself :S
I get 3 teachers 4 bio and one of them is terrible! we have the books from scholar but they dont seem very good :S does ne1 else use them? sorry, blabbin on a bit here! better get back 2 my search 4 tea tree oil - the fun!
emsy x

#8 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:13 PM

Enzymes is in the second unit I think. We haven't started any investigations yet but I'm thinking of doing something like the effect of stress on the body. I think I have a long way to go before any investigation business starts.
IPB Image

#9 R-H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 02:40 PM

I hate AH Biology. For someone with no Chemistry whatsoever, it's a nightmare.

#10 natalie1062

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:09 PM

Just out of interest, for those of you doing advanced biology what higher grade did you get?

#11 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 08:21 PM

I got a band 1 A in biology. But yesterday I found out that I cannot do medicine because I did not do chemistry in my 5th year (I was forced not to). Even though I'm doing it this year... they say it doesn't count as a first sitting... life is harsh sad.gif
IPB Image

#12 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE(Jas0n @ Oct 2 2004, 08:21 PM)
I got a band 1 A in biology. But yesterday I found out that I cannot do medicine because I did not do chemistry in my 5th year (I was forced not to). Even though I'm doing it this year... they say it doesn't count as a first sitting... life is harsh  sad.gif

View Post

That is harsh sad.gif who told you that? Have you contacted the Universities you thought of applying to to check with them?

I've just applied for medicine, but I did Chemistry last year

I got a band 1 A in Human Biology last year.

I didn't even know you had to do an investigation in AH Biology sad.gif Do you really have to do the whole thing yourself?

#13 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 03:04 PM

Yeah I contacted Glasow through carrers scotland, and the head I think it was said that Chemistry was pretty important for medicine...therefore my chances are pretty low sad.gif . Ah well, I'm taking a year out and applying next year.By then I'm hoping to get enough work experience etc. sorted.

The investigation as far as I heard has to be done by ourselves. You got any ideas on what you're doing? I wonder if there's any for Maths :S
IPB Image

#14 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(Jas0n @ Oct 3 2004, 03:04 PM)
The investigation as far as I heard has to be done by ourselves. You got any ideas on what you're doing? I wonder if there's any for Maths :S

View Post

Absolutely no idea whatsoever......

Our teacher hasn't mentioned anything about an investigation yet, I think I'll ask him tomorrow.... rolleyes.gif

What are you doing for yours? Can you give me an idea of what it actually involves (experiments, writing up reports ect.) Thanx smile.gif

Laura

#15 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:56 PM

The investigation is common to all science subjects at Advanced Higher. The most important thing to note is that it makes up 20% of the final marks for your course. Investigations are marked out of 25. As I am not doing AH biology I cannot suggest possible investigations.

I have 2 of them to do though, 1 for AH Chemistry and 1 for AH Physics.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#16 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:49 PM

I'm not sure about what I'm doing for the investigation. However, I think my investigation involves some advnavced maths (statistics)...I will get back with more info on this. Have you guys done any experiments like enzyme phosphorylase etc?
IPB Image

#17 Audrey

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 02:14 PM

Yo, just wondering if anyone knew when they were due to sit their ah biology nab as my class are soooooooooooooooooooo behind me. Not literally but with the work. I love biology and my friend and I have finished unit 1 all by ourselves sad.gif . I feel so lonesome sometimes. The teacher is rubbish but hey I'm not willing to fail because of that ill-educated bufoon.

#18 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE(Jas0n @ Oct 4 2004, 07:49 PM)
Argh.... huge workload when you're doin three adv. highers  unsure.gif . I'm sure about what I'm doing for the investigation. However, I think my investigation involves some advnavced maths (statistics)...I will get back with more info on this. Have you guys done any experiments like enzyme phosphorylase etc?

View Post

We did an experiment last week with carbohydrates, testing them with Benedicts, and Barfoed's etc. It was really similar to an experiment we did with Higher last year, don't know why we had to do it again....... blink.gif

We also did one trying to get little plant cut off thingys to grow in agar jelly, didn't really work very well though.

Have you done any?

#19 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:01 PM

Hey,

Thought this thread was closed ohmy.gif . Anyway, we did another set of experiments on Mitosis and its different stages.Pretty easy really. We got two more to go I think..
IPB Image

#20 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:00 PM

Hey,

Has anyone started on there nabs yet? My teacher says we might be getting it in a weeks time. But we've still got a lot to cover and hes giving us tons of homework sad.gif . Anyone in the same situation ?
IPB Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users