Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Windows Vs Mac? - HSN forum

Windows Vs Mac?

37 replies to this topic

#1 blueheaduk

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:04 PM

I remember seeing a thread around here discussing macs, can't remember where it is though, so I'm sarting a new one biggrin.gif

I've only ever used a windows machine in my experience with computers, but with university and all that coming up next summer I'm thinkign about getting a laptop. Could anyone help me find the differences between a normal windows laptop and a mac iBook? Whats the Mac interface like as well? Is it as user friendly as windows? (Harhar) tongue.gif Any advice would be greatly appreciated smile.gif

#2 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:34 PM

Well, although I only have a PC running Windows at home, Mr. Gates' evil empire mad.gif is yet to invade out school so we use Macs lol. They are MUCH more reliable than PC's, being based on a more modern Unix system rather than the volatile DOS-based Windows. It must be noted that the range of software is less extensive however. And I hate the one-button-mouse-with-no-right-bloody-clicking.

I guess you're going to use it for typing mostly (?) and, assuming this, I would say go for a Mac. There is much less chance in you being halfway through an assignment and then *bang* System Error. You might find that it could turn out a cheaper deal too. biggrin.gif

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:21 PM

well a ibook isn't going to be cheaper than a PC laptop i don't think but prices are very good

Technical stuff: A G4 processor in a Mac will wipe than floor with any Pentium or AMD 32bit processor and actually the 64-bits aren't all they seem because you have to convert word sizes so you don't get the full benifit

Although yes software is less extensive the quality applications all come in Mac versions so its not a problem however Microsoft access doesn't come in a Mac version however you do get VirtualPc (emulator) as part of Office Pro. However, today i did manage to convert an access database to filemaker on this Mac without an emulator. (Export database to excel and open it on Mac then fix the field names)

I have not used OS X for any length of time so i can't say much about it other than i can't be worse than XP (btw Windows from 2000 onwards as far as i know is no longer based on DOS)

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:35 PM

I didn't mean that it ran like a windowing app on top of DOS, I meant that fragments of old code and the like are still embedded in many parts of Windows, leading to reocurring problems, especially with the BIOS. cool.gif

There is also a major problem with Internet Explorer being intergrated as part of Windows - this is what has lead to many security issues with WinXP. Plus, Microsoft must be about the most useless customer support people ever! biggrin.gif

#5 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:58 PM

i not sure about embedded DOS code in the new Windows myself

the problems with IE are their own making because they did that on purpose to make a defence for the court case that Netscape had put against them them they gave IE free to destroy the much better Netscape browser (got that from my English interp prelim last year laugh.gif )

#6 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:27 PM

Well, I'm getting an iBook for uni for sure. They just seem like the best option for me.

1. They're cute. Hey, I'm a girl, OF COURSE I'm gonna go for the cute computer.
2. Because of the way they work they don't get as hot as regular laptops. That's good because it's really annoying when your using a laptop and it's roastytoasting all over the place.
3. You can get an "educational discount" which means that for the basic 12" it's only £656.83. Waow!
4. I reckon they're very well eqiupped; DVD/CD-RW drive, wireless interwebs card, stuff that I don't know what it is but it sounds good, etc.
5. They're less likely to get haxed than PC's & regular laptops since less people use Macs the hax0r0rs don't really target them.

@

#7 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:39 PM

yep your right but you got to remember even though you might not be affected by the ton of virus's on your laptop they can be transported over to a Pc if you take something off the laptop and onto a PC (has happened to me)

#8 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:05 PM

I switched to a Mac January 12th 2003. I bought a G3 CRT iMac, 600 Mhz. It came with Mac OS X (10.2) installed. The latest version of Mac OS X is 10.3 which I upgraded to. Mac OS X 10.4 is due out in about 4 months, so if anyone here if going to buy a Mac for Uni, later on inthe year, then it will come with the brand new operating system installed.

Lets get another thing right: Mac's do NOTcrash under Mac OS X. Mac OS X has a 'protected memory' feature which stops the computer freezing if anything does go wrong. Applications can crash, of course, but more often that not, the applications that tend to crash are the ones made by Microsoft.

BlueHead UK - when you buy a PC its usually full of different components from different manufacturers. Obviously, due to the thousands of computer manufacturers, Microsoft Windows software cannot fully support every single piece of hardware. However, Apple makes the computers and installs the software, so you have 100% software and hardware integration and compatibility. Due to this, the computer is more rebust and reliable.

Mac OS X is built on top of Unix - which again is very popular due to its robustness.

Mac's are all about ease of use. They are easy to use, don't get in the way, and you are able to do everything you want.

Oh - and a maor bonus. There are NO viruses or spyware for Mac OS X. It just doesn't exist.

If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

#9 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:17 PM

couldn't have said it better myself

btw: if you want to see what happens to a PC when you use different manufacturers for components come visit mine which crashs if you leave it for an hour by itself!!

#10 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:22 PM

just had a thought. do alienware make laptops? biggrin.gif

'cause if you've got £3000 to spare, one of them will sure be nice. and you could run it on Unix rather than Windows.

Just a thought for the rich people rolleyes.gif (which i can't include myself in sad.gif )

I have a question though: Why exactly do Macs running on a, oh lets say, 2Ghz processor waaaaaaay outperform PC's running on processors up to 3.6Ghz? Is it just simply that Macs are alot more efficient? Cheers cool.gif

#11 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:42 PM

I was going to go on a rant about how great macs are but you guys have done a good job.

Dave - you really do need to get on OSX eventually, I ran OS9 for a few years, been on OSX about 2 years now ( well, 10.2 and now 10.3 ) and it's soooo much better. I'm considering an iBook for uni as well, dunno though, hoping we get an upgrade in a couple of months that has a gfx card upgrade.

Oh, and I'll of course be waiting until tigers released to buy new computer, also waited to get panther with my current mac, heh.

#12 blueheaduk

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for all the replies smile.gif

You say that there is limited software availability on the mac? Are there any particularly major every day programs (from a windows user point of view), or indeed any programs that might be needed for uni, that wouldn't work with a mac? I totally agree with the cuteness thing btw, very sexy piece of kit biggrin.gif

Definately sounds worth looking into, thanks for all the info smile.gif

#13 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:03 AM

Any major programs would be available on both formats, or indeed a similar alternative may be. tongue.gif

#14 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:06 PM

I havent read the other posts in this thread yet...but from experience, I prefer Windows...dont know y....i had an imac a couple of years back....didnt like how there was a shortage of software n there was more availability of software for windows....so i bot a pc on windows n now i have a laptop...i just generally prefer windows!

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#15 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:44 PM

thats gonna get some angry responses rolleyes.gif

#16 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:52 PM

GOOD! we need sum more heated discussions on this forum!

lol
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#17 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:38 PM

No, I think you'll find generally mac guys are quite nice if windows users prefer windows. It's the windows guys who rant about macs sucking, so I was surprised to see none of that in here.

Shandogg, do many people use laptops in uni? ( not in dorms, during "school time" if you get my meaning )

#18 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:39 PM

there isn't a software shortage unless you are looking to do gaming on your new computer in which case a Pc is best because they are more easily upgraded (and destroyed) than a Mac

A Mac is always out perform a IBM compatable (PC) because the bus speed coming out of the processor is a lot higher so the time is takes a Mac to carry out an instruction (different from a single processor cycle) is much shorter than a IBM compatible

If you do Higher Computing this topic is covered

#19 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:44 PM

No I don't do higher computing tongue.gif I didn't like it at SG so I let it be. I mean, what did I learn over those two years? Nothing. Literally.

#20 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:45 PM

ah but look at what you didn't learn this year^ cool.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users