Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Anyone Doing French This Year? - HSN forum

Anyone Doing French This Year?

20 replies to this topic

#1 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 11 December 2004 - 05:13 PM

I'm doing French this year and I was wondering how many listening and reading NABS are there?

How is everyone else finding the course? I think it's a lot different from SG and having a year away from it hasn't helped but it's ok so far.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 11 December 2004 - 05:24 PM

your doing it after missing it in 5th year wow ohmy.gif that really is something i couldn't have done it if i had did it in 5th year without the year to forget everything and a bit more dry.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:33 PM

There is one listening , reading and extended writing nab.

The listening is the hardest by far!

(i failed it the first time last year but i got a B in the final exma so it wasnt the end of the world although it felt like it!)

#4 cc100

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 01:45 AM

I'm doing French too. There's also a (very scary) speaking NAB as well!! Don't worry too much about the listening - it is fast, but passable.
I'm finding the course OK because I enjoy French, but yes, there is definitely a big jump from SG.
"...You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise....
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."

**Maya Angelou**

Si tu le fais, le fais bien ou ne le fais pas.

Against terrorism and in favour of peace.
Contra el terrorismo y a favor de la paz.

An eye for an eye will turn the world blind.
Ojo por ojo y el mundo acabarŠ ciego.
~Gandhi~

#5 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 04:44 PM

There is not a speaking nab!
There is a speaking test in which you have to cover two ares of study and do a presentation and then answer questions which are related and on a different topic.

#6 cc100

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:19 PM

Ah ok lol. It's still scary though!!
"...You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise....
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."

**Maya Angelou**

Si tu le fais, le fais bien ou ne le fais pas.

Against terrorism and in favour of peace.
Contra el terrorismo y a favor de la paz.

An eye for an eye will turn the world blind.
Ojo por ojo y el mundo acabarŠ ciego.
~Gandhi~

#7 Wheelybin

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:17 PM

Most schools do quite a few NABs and this is just to try and find your best marks in each of the areas. I think it helps to do them, and if you fail, it's not the end of the world; if your teacher's nice, I'm sure they'll let you resit as many times for each topic...

The listening for Higher French was a complete bummer last year. Maybe that means you'll not have it as hard this year... dunno, I wouldn't put that in writing though...
Who is the 'She' in the nursery rhyme, "She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes"?

#8 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:50 PM

Tell me about it the listenin was really hard and i am sure that it cost me my A. I suggest that you try to do that one and if you get a goodish mark then you will know you will do fine!

#9 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:57 PM

I wish i was back doing French with the ever sexy teacher...anyways I think we did 3 nabs or soemthing like that. I failed the 1st listening one and got full marks in teh second, we did a reading one and one on a french book we had read "le silence de la mer" oh memories. The speaking is relatively easy. We learned the speech of by heart and new exactly what questions he was gonig to ask.

The listening in the exam was jsut awful sad.gif

I'm glad i dont do adv french though, it looks alot less fun than Higher.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#10 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:31 PM

I did Higher French last year, I'm doing Advanced now and it's great. But that's not the point.

I think all the French NABs are at about level B. That's what my teacher told us anyway. So they're tricky, but they're not too bad.

And yes, last year's listening was a nightmare! I still managed to get an A though. O_o

#11 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 04:54 PM

I done French last year as well. I don't know how I got an A in the exam. The listening was horrendous. It was like the they were saying "blah blah blah blah blah". I had to use my old technique of putting answers that would be likely.

Also thought the reading was particularly hard as well.

#12 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:32 PM

Is there no-one else actually doing Higher French this year??? Wouldn't blame folk for avoidin it...it's probs my hardest higher!

btw any tips for the two writing pieces in the exam?

Thanks!

#13 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE(djh1878 @ Jan 23 2005, 08:32 PM)
Is there no-one else actually doing Higher French this year??? Wouldn't blame folk for avoidin it...it's probs my hardest higher!

btw any tips for the two writing pieces in the exam?

Thanks!

View Post

Practice doing them plenty of times, and don't try anything too fancy that you might be unsure of. Show off what you do know but I wouldn't risk new phrases/grammatical things that come to mind in the exam. Remember to answer all of the question, especially with the directed writing - although you can add additional stuff thats not quite so related to the question that you've learned beforehand to impress the examiner. And learn up plenty phrases for expressing your opinion in the opinion writing - maybe your teacher gives you sheets with useful phrases?
biggrin.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#14 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:53 PM

Yeah learn plenty o phrases as that is the best way because a lot o them u can use in any circumstance! Yeah dont try to wite nuthin to fancy! Also a good tip is get a really good dictionary, they cost about £10 but they have all the irregualar verb and all other verbs formation in the back and this is a great help.

#15 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:45 PM

Anyone know what kind of questions could be asked in the writing part of the listening? I know the prelim will be on friends, family and health but I'm worried about what I should know. My teacher thinks that knowing good French is the idea of the Higher so he's not necessarily covered all the vocab we need to know for the topics we could be examined on!
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#16 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:16 PM

We got told to learn general phrases that can apply to any of those topics, and the basic vocab will get you by. Remember to add personal opinions! (A mon avis etc.)

The writing part of the listening isn't what i'm worried about, it's the listening itself!!! unsure.gif

#17 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:27 PM

Dont want to worry you but i found the listening the hardest past of the exam by far! If you dont no the answer take an educated guess and dont leave any blanks!

#18 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:12 PM

I have to agree. You've got to be quick with the pen and concentrate hard to keep up with the pace.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#19 krazykooki

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(bred2k4 @ Jan 25 2005, 10:12 PM)
I have to agree. You've got to be quick with the pen and concentrate hard to keep up with the pace.

View Post

yeah thats what i find difficult writing and keepin track of whats being said at the same time

#20 super_diva <3!

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:31 PM

I'm finding the course ok this year, i thoguht it would have been harder. For me, the hardest thing would have to be listening..wow French people talk fast blink.gif lol!

x x

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users