Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Structuring Essays - HSN forum

Structuring Essays

7 replies to this topic

#1 russellelly

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 01:29 PM

As if we didn't know the exam is around the corner, and I am still scoring around 10 for most critical essays. It's always 'good as far as it goes, but too short'. My problem is by the time I have written 2-3 main paras i have ran out of stuff to say. In the prelim I finnished each essay within about 35 mins. I usually look at one technique per paragraph ie para 1 charaterisation, para 2 theme, para 3 symblolism. Is there any better way of organising my essays so they become long enough to get up to the 12 mark?

Cheers

Chris

#2 Holly

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 10:28 AM

This is great help but i was wondering, has your english teacher told you to use the tools of analysis: parallel, contrast, foregrounding, repetition, imagery.
I think its a good idea to use these in you ideas, helps you to analyse the text more in the paragraphs???

#3 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 12:28 PM

When ever i start my critical essays i like to take a few mins 2 create a plan of where my essay is going, cuz if i dont i tend to start repeating things which i have already said, or sometimes i forget about some bits and then remember and stick them in at the end.
I just want 2 know do u have to score out your plans or spider diagrams? and what happens if you forget to score them out?
Thanks

cool.gif
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#4 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 09 May 2004 - 12:34 PM

i would think that it wouldn't be a problem cos marks come from quality of writing so no-one is going to mark you down because they can see your plan. If anythin the marker is more likily to mark you up for having a plan because it shows you trying to structure the essay. Of course officially you shouldn't but we are all human

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#5 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 01:15 PM

We're always encouraged to write a plan so I would say do one! They won't mark you down for it

#6 russellelly

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 02:22 PM

Thanks a lot Allan!

Woiuld you have the synopsis built into the intro or as a seperate paragraph (or can you do either?)

Again cheers,

Chris

#7 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (alevelchemistry2000 @ May 9 2004, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (russellelly @ May 9 2004, 02:22 PM)
Thanks a lot Allan!

Woiuld you have the synopsis built into the intro or as a seperate paragraph (or can you do either?)

Again cheers,

Chris

Chris the main repsonse was from me and not Allan!

lol biggrin.gif
quite funny

cool.gif
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#8 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:15 PM

Synopsis can be built into intro or as a seperate paragraph. I personally, considering the time limits, would include it in the intro as all pupils at my school are advised to do this.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users