Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Gcse/a-levels Vs Int2/higher? - HSN forum - Page 2

Gcse/a-levels Vs Int2/higher?

49 replies to this topic

#21 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:34 PM

medicine is different because they only look at one sitting because they want the best people obviously

even tho when you compare the courses has you have done and it looks like we get a bad deal actually it pans out that they are the same because the quantity of work in a higher subject is much lower and less intense the one A-level subject

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#22 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:38 PM

Yes but it is unfair that universities take account into two more subjects that the student may not like - lets say, English. A Level students won't have to do English so it wouldn't matter.

#23 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:44 PM

i know what you mean but i think if you want to go to uni english really is a must i would think

at the end of ther day tho this is really only of any interest or concern if you are a scottisg student wanting to go to an english university and seeing as there is so many excellent instuitions here why would you want to

#24 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Dec 9 2004, 10:44 PM)
at the end of ther day tho this is really only of any interest or concern if you are a scottisg student wanting to go to an english university and seeing as there is so many excellent instuitions here why would you want to

View Post

That's beside the point - I know so many people who want to go down south.

An example of the unfairness is if you apply to Cambridge. They ask for AAAAB - AAAAA for Highers and predictions of AAA at AH. For english candidates they only ask for good GCSE grades (Higher > GCSE) and A level predictions of AAA. They don't care about your AS. Unfair.

#25 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 10:05 AM

I know. That isnt even funny that. I think our system is much better though. It separates the elite from the average, not everyone gets 5As or 4As and a B, or 3 Adv As. Whereas, in england the rate of getting 3
A-levels at A is increasing so like everyone is getting them. Therefore I declare... THEY ARE TOO EASY.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#26 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:07 PM

The Scottish Education system is supposedly among the best in the world according to a newspaper I was reading yesterday; > than the English system is stated.

#27 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:26 PM

I think we're a bit biased, but I would certainly say our system is better.

We don't have subjects like General Studies which is basically Social Eduction - you can get an A Level in that! I think that's part of the reason so many people get good A Levels, there are subjects which we wouldn't think you could get credit for.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#28 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 04:38 PM

another reason could be everyone sitting at that level is capable of passing at that level i mean really if you have no hope why are you there

#29 AlexMcIver

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 01:19 PM

Isn't an A at Higher worth 72 points? Either way, the Scottish system means that we can get entrance to university after S5. English students can't use their AS grades to get into uni, they must use their full A-level (AS+A2). I'm doing 2 A-levels and an Advanced Higher this year and the AH is seriously much harder. A-level is harder than Higher though. I reckon a fair system would be (assuming grade A):
60 points for AS
72 for Higher
120 points for full A-level
144 points for AH (replaces the Higher score).

This would rank things fairly in terms of difficulty. If you follow the points scheme you'll see that 5 A Highers is worth 360 points, the same as 3 A grades at A-level.

#30 kpusa1981

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Gymnastics watching it as well as baseball on T.V. <br />Educational systems of the world ( mostly the UK). I took a German 101 and French 101<br />German 101: droped<br />French 101: B

Posted 08 February 2005 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE(blueheaduk @ Dec 9 2004, 02:30 PM)
Soo...for medicine (which I'm applying for btw biggrin.gif)

English students get 2 years to do 3 subjects, of which their grades only count at the end of the 2 years to get entry...

Meanwhile, Scottish students have 1 year to do 5 subjects, and universities look at those grades only and generally ignore 6th year work (for medicine)

Um :S

View Post

AS- Level = 5 subjects 360 for 5A's 200 points for 5 C's (1st year)(3 Modules and exams really more in many cases)
A-Levels = 3 subjects 360 for 3 A's 240 points for 3 C's (2nd year)(3 Modules and exams really more in many cases)
It is true that the scores only counts after the second year in England. English students do however usually take 5 subjects in the first year.

#31 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE(kpusa1981 @ Feb 8 2005, 06:54 AM)
AS- Level = 5 subjects 360 for 5A's 200 points for 5 C's (1st year)(3 Modules and  exams really more in many cases)

View Post

Isn't it 60 points for an A at AS?

#32 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(blueheaduk @ Dec 9 2004, 10:30 PM)
generally ignore 6th year work (for medicine)

Um :S

View Post

Hmm, that used to be the case, but a lot of places are putting conditions on AH these days. For example Glasgow is typically giving out offers of BBC at AH just now.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#33 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 12:02 PM

iv'e got 5A's at higher and southampton uni are still lookin for another 2A's and a B at higher and an A in my advanced higher.

their reason: their students enter uni at a higher level than scottish students so we need more qualifications. and here's me thinkin they were just ignorant.

by the way, if i get those qualifications, i would have 612 ucas points. they are only asking for 390 to do accounts.

#34 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 12:45 PM

why do you want to got to an english uni are scottish ones not good enough for you rolleyes.gif

#35 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:35 PM

Arg people say that to me all the time!
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#36 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:37 PM

yes but seriously though there must be a reason other than it looks nice and prestious

#37 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ Feb 8 2005, 04:35 PM)
Arg people say that to me all the time!

View Post

And me. rolleyes.gif
QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 8 2005, 04:37 PM)
yes but seriously though there must be a reason other than it looks nice and prestious

View Post

Maybe not all the universities in Scotland do that course?

#38 kpusa1981

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Gymnastics watching it as well as baseball on T.V. <br />Educational systems of the world ( mostly the UK). I took a German 101 and French 101<br />German 101: droped<br />French 101: B

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Feb 8 2005, 12:29 AM)
QUOTE(kpusa1981 @ Feb 8 2005, 06:54 AM)
AS- Level = 5 subjects 360 for 5A's 200 points for 5 C's (1st year)(3 Modules and  exams really more in many cases)
View Post

Isn't it 60 points for an A at AS?
View Post

Yes the AS-Levels singlerly are worth 60 points. If you have taken 3 A-levels it is worth 360 points.

#39 kpusa1981

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE(AlexMcIver @ Dec 17 2004, 05:19 AM)
Isn't an A at Higher worth 72 points? Either way, the Scottish system means that we can get entrance to university after S5. English students can't use their AS grades to get into uni, they must use their full A-level (AS+A2). I'm doing 2 A-levels and an Advanced Higher this year and the AH is seriously much harder. A-level is harder than Higher though. I reckon a fair system would be (assuming grade A):
60 points for AS
72 for Higher

This would rank things fairly in terms of difficulty. If you follow the points scheme you'll see that 5 A Highers is worth 360 points, the same as 3 A grades at A-level.

View Post

What made you to decide to take 2 A- Levels? Dose that mean that you are doing th AS- Level or are you doing the A2 part of the A-Level? That is cool that you decided to take A-Levels.

#40 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(AlexMcIver @ Dec 17 2004, 01:19 PM)
60 points for AS
72 for Higher

View Post

An "A" at AH is 120 points is it not?

QUOTE(kpusa1981 @ Feb 8 2005, 05:07 PM)
Yes the AS-Levels singlerly are  worth 60 points. If you have taken  5 A-levels it is worth 360 points.

View Post

I think you mean 5 AS-levels, but still, that's news to me.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users