Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Gcse/a-levels Vs Int2/higher? - HSN forum

Gcse/a-levels Vs Int2/higher?

49 replies to this topic

#1 blueheaduk

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:02 PM

I really didnt know where to post this, so sorry if I'm ruining the kewl 6th year vibe cool.gif tongue.gif

Whats the difference between the english qualifications and the scottish ones? Just seems strange that 5 Highers are the equivalent of 3 A levels :S Can anyone offer any sort of insight? Cheersies smile.gif

#2 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:37 PM

OK, this is how they supposedly compare:

Intermediate 2 = GCSE
Highers = AS
Advanced Highers = A2

The A Levels usually cover a greater range of topics while Advanced Highers go into more detail in the topics which they do have.

#3 blueheaduk

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:11 AM

Ah, thanks for the info biggrin.gif

Just thought it a little strange on prospectuses, ie. for medicine the entry requirement for most universities is AAAAB at higher, however from A-levels the requirement is usually AAB. :S

#4 tweetypie2005

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:39 PM

also at a levels level they get two years to do the course me thinks whilst we get one

#5 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 10:15 PM

Yep you are all right, and they do get two years in stead of 1 so an A-level shouldnt be worth twice a higher maybe only 1.5 times a higher. Advanced Highers, in my opinion are much more in depth and more of a university style than A-levels, additionally we do Adv Highers all bundled up in one year whereas they probably do AS for most of the first year then get into A2 slightly before their exams. Advanced Highers should be worth twice a higher.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#6 blueheaduk

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 12:22 AM

Ah thanks for clearing that up. smile.gif

So...um...how are you?smile.gif

#7 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Dec 8 2004, 10:15 PM)
Advanced Highers should be worth twice a higher.

View Post

They are - you get 120 points for an A in Advanced Higher and 60 points for an A in Higher. This is using the UCAS tarriff thing.

#8 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:16 PM

yes but you loss those 60 points from the highers when you gain your pointing for the advanced higher so you only gain another higher effectively

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#9 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:27 PM

What is the difference between AS and A2 Levels. I thought it was an A Level students sat and that was it? blink.gif

#10 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:28 PM

AS is the first year of A Level. A2 is the second year of A level (i.e the full A Level)

#11 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:29 PM

you can just sit the AS level and dive out with half the possible number of ucas points

#12 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Dec 9 2004, 05:16 PM)
yes but you loss those 60 points from the highers when you gain your pointing for the advanced higher so you only gain another higher effectively

View Post

Still worth double a Higher. For instance, if some crazy person were to crash an Advanced Higher they would still get 120 points (i.e double the amount of points awarded for a Higher).

#13 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:58 PM

Ally now ur talking rubbish no-one should would do that. They are worth twice a higher in terms of point but you lose your higher points when you get ur Adv Higher. I think that this is unfair. Also what unis actually (honestly) goes by the tariff. They kinda dont. They look at our stuff and automatically presume even people who do 4 A- levels (thats 6 exams-3 for AS and 3 at A2) are better than some of us with 5 Highers and an Advanced Higher (thats 6 exams). It doesnt matter if ours are worth more or less or whatever. They are just percieved to be better.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#14 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Dec 9 2004, 08:58 PM)
Ally now ur talking rubbish no-one should would do that.

View Post

Believe me, it has been done by one (slightly crazy) person at my school. Don't know what grade he ended up getting but he did pass.
Also what unis actually (honestly) goes by the tariff. They kinda dont.

View Post

Very very few do. Liverpool do though.
They look at our stuff and automatically presume even people who do  4 A- levels (thats 6 exams-3 for AS and 3 at A2)

View Post

That would be 8 exams (4 AS and 4 at A2). I also agree it's unfair - English candidates don't have to declare their AS grades on the UCAS form.

#15 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 09:59 PM

loura a memeber of this board is doing AH music without doing Higher and as for the whole thing about prejudice against highers against A-levels well you have to agree that A-levels get higher points, accrediation etc because you only get one go at an A-level but 2 at a higher and the A-level(module 2) isof a higher standard than highers

#16 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Dec 9 2004, 09:59 PM)
... you only get one go at an A-level but 2 at a higher

View Post

Yes, but you do get to re-sit the A Level modules.

lol... this thread is getting similiar to another one you made Dave.

#17 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:10 PM

cool.gif was just thinking that of course your replies are just the same as the aforementioned thread but still

NB: I am a firm believer in the scottish system over the english one but i do go for balance and think that the current framework for qualifications over the whole of this fine land is totally 100% correct and more importantly fair

#18 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:17 PM

You must agree though that it is unfair that we have to declare all our grades, while English students don't have to declare their AS grades?

We are, therefore, at a disadvantage.

#19 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:22 PM

the AS levels are seen as a stepping stone which has no real academic value (like in2 or SG) so the uni's aren't interested + the AS-level is very very new and the first few years they were incredibily bad + a examination board was found to be fiddling the awards so basically i think unoffically they have been written off as worthless the past few years

Things however could change

#20 blueheaduk

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:30 PM

Soo...for medicine (which I'm applying for btw biggrin.gif)

English students get 2 years to do 3 subjects, of which their grades only count at the end of the 2 years to get entry...

Meanwhile, Scottish students have 1 year to do 5 subjects, and universities look at those grades only and generally ignore 6th year work (for medicine)

Um :S

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users