Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Circle - HSN forum

Circle

14 replies to this topic

#1 SomethingTypical

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:01 PM

How do you prove that two circles just touch each other?

Thanks

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:02 PM

well if they touch each other then the 2 equation equal eac other at that point

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 SomethingTypical

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Dec 7 2004, 09:02 PM)
well if they touch each other then the 2 equation equal eac other at that point

View Post

Makes sense, thanks.

#4 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:15 PM

Ah, I remember that! I actually keep up to date on the higher by helping a friend who does higher at the moment.

#5 Clare16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:50 PM

hey. its to do with the radius of the 2 circles maybe? find the centres nd then do sum stuff! lol- sorry im so vague- reely in a rush!!

#6 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:51 PM

I did it by:

If the sum of the two radii = the distance from one center to another, then they touch at one point.

If the sum of the two radii > the distance from one center to another, then they touch at two points.

If the sum of the two radii < the distance from one center to another, then they don't touch.

#7 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 10:10 PM

That is infact how you do it, remember if the distance isnt just a horizontal or vertical line you can form a sort of right-angeld triangle between the two centres with distance (d) as the hypotenuse and use pythagoras to calculate it.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#8 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:41 PM

I'd use the distance formula. Eg. if one circle (arbitrarily) had equation (x-4)^2 + (y+1)^2 = 25 and the other (also arbitrarily) (x+1)^2 + (y-1)^2 = 16 then I'd find the center of both circles using (-g, -f) -> (-1, 1) and (4, -1). Use distance formula, the compare this with the sum of the radii (will be 9 here).

#9 fresh graduate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 02:15 PM

[B][I][FONT=Times][SIZE=7][COLOR=purple]Actually I think it’s the right answer to this question wink.gif

#10 fresh graduate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 02:18 PM

smile.gif i mean Infinite Dreams answer

#11 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 08:36 PM

Haha...what's the chances!

#12 Amo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Studying higher english, maths, french, biology and chemistry. Hope to become a doctor/dentist! <br /><br />I'm a car fanatic, and love my music!

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:36 AM

Hi, just a quick question... when you are asked to write down the equation of a circle in the exam, can you leave it in the form (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2, or do you have to expland the brackets?
Thanks

#13 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(Amo @ Jan 27 2006, 10:36 AM)
Hi, just a quick question... when you are asked to write down the equation of a circle in the exam, can you leave it in the form (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2, or do you have to expland the brackets?
Thanks

View Post

I think it's fine as it is.

#14 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(Amo @ Jan 27 2006, 10:36 AM)
Thanks

View Post

You only need to expand the brackets if the question asks you to give the equation of the circle in expanded form.

#15 Amo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Studying higher english, maths, french, biology and chemistry. Hope to become a doctor/dentist! <br /><br />I'm a car fanatic, and love my music!

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:53 PM

Ok thanks! smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users