Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Index of Maths Solutions - HSN forum

Index of Maths Solutions

12 replies to this topic

#1 AndyW

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 10:53 PM

I was thinking it would be useful to have a thread with a list of numbered questions from all the past papers, along with links to any thread for each question.

If there was a rule of 1-question-per-thread this would be easier.

Also, would the publication of PDFs of worked solutions be allowed, or would this cause copyright problems?

#2 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 07:00 AM

I think an index would be a good idea, and it would certainly make sense to have 1 question per thread. I've created a Problem Questions sub-forum in the Higher Maths forum, so questions can be posted there from now on.

We've contacted the SQA about producing a solutions document, and we expect to recieve an answer in the next couple of weeks.

#3 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (George @ May 7 2004, 07:00 AM)
I think an index would be a good idea, and it would certainly make sense to have 1 question per thread. I've created a Problem Questions sub-forum in the Higher Maths forum, so questions can be posted there from now on.

We've contacted the SQA about producing a solutions document, and we expect to recieve an answer in the next couple of weeks.

Weeks?

Years! I asked them what was so confidential about their marking schemes - they have not replied.
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#4 Guest_Iain_*

• Guests

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:06 PM

I have a feeling producing worked solutions is legal, even without the SQA's permission.

Facts can't be copyrighted, so maybe rewording the question will be OK. As for the working, there's really only one way to express it, so I'm certain the working can't be copyrighted.

Regardless, even if these things were copyrightable, I'm sure educational/other fair use would allow these questions to be used.

Maybe someone else will have better luck deciphering the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.

#5 AndyW

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:23 PM

I'm sure you're right.

There wouldn't actually be any need to include the questions - the solutions can just refer to them by year, paper and number.

#6 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:40 PM

I have a fairly good understanding of copyright law, as I have done a lot of reading on the subject.

It is true that facts can't be copyrighted, but we are planning to create a document which will contain what could be considered 'derived works', based on copyrighted creations (ie SQA exam papers).

We basically have to ensure our content is not breaching others' rights; not only is that the fairest thing to do, it protects us from any accusations or - however unlikely - legal action.

Until we can get permission to publish the document on the site, the Problem Questions section in the Higher Maths forum will let you get help.

#7 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:26 PM

Its good to know how cautious you are being with law and it is also good to know that you seem to know quite a bit and everything is entirely accurate in what you say. Sorry for analysing your words but I'm kinda into business law at the moment and although you cant do a higher in it I'm kinda studying it over summer, I might do it in uni at the end of 6th year. Anyway, I do hope you get permission .
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#8 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:01 PM

We've been informed by the SQA that producing our own model answers is perfectly acceptable. There is still an issue with including the questions, but apart from that we should be able to go ahead.

#9 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:00 PM

well that's good news smile.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#10 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:22 PM

Well thats good to hear. About the questions, u could paraphrase the wording and keep the same figures, therefore not including the actual question. If there is no wording then use a different thing like keep the figures but put it in radians instead of degrees in ur question then put solutions in both. that way u never use the actual question.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#11 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:36 PM

There isn't really any need to put up the questions is there?
Mark

#12 Guest_Iain_*

• Guests

Posted 28 May 2004 - 09:10 PM

Does anybody know what happened to the copyright of the old SCE Highers?

If the SQA didn't inherit these copyrights (then again, that would be highly unlikely rolleyes.gif), then I guess some of the questions could be put up.

Having the questions up -- if possible -- would be quite useful as half the trouble in maths is being able to see through the question and knowing what maths is being asked. One can know their basic level C maths but not be sure in which way they're being asked to apply it when they got onto harder questions. I think the hard part isn't necessarily the solving.

#13 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:21 PM

Yes, we've been told that the SQA does not allow more than 1/3 of any paper to be reproduced - so we may just include the more involved questions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users