Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Leckie & Leckie Monopoly - HSN forum - Page 2

Leckie & Leckie Monopoly

40 replies to this topic

#21 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 08:03 PM

Really that isn't a viable excuse for such an organisation, yes they can't return your answers! (I am not really bothered about that!) . I don't see why the SQA can't simply take enough time, and post the Marking Schemes for all the papers in PDF on their website, maybe then their admin time may not be taken up with so many e-mails by angry students wanting to do well in their exams!
Mark

#22 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 13 May 2004 - 08:08 PM

actually on the website their is quite a bit if infromation on the exam : the PA report, some other reports from people involved in the process, marking systems for the most recent exams and exam advice so really we are not hard done by. Having to buy past papers is simply a done thing and you know if past papers were only available on the website what about all the people who do not have internet access because there are people who can afford to buy past papers and want to have them but don't have access to a computer with internet access. You can't use school computers because chances are they are locked down

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#23 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 08:22 PM

I wasn;t wanting the papers on the website, just asking them to be a little more open with the marking schemes!

What you mean "locked down?"
Mark

#24 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 08:24 PM

even if they charged you for the answers I wouldn't mind, a fiver or something for some solutions!

i don't get the whole secrecy and confidential thing, if they can provide 'Model Answers' for one subject, then it's only fair that they do them for ALL subjects

#25 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 08:26 PM

WELL: if your school uses PC's then chances are the IT people in your council gets all excited and do a bit of showing off and block just about every port and monitor data track and search your queries for naughty keywords.

So, the result is a slow computer that can't connect to forums or chat rooms or doenload and print anything without clearence from the IT people

There is a way around this- buy a Mac they are soo much better in every department head to head against a PC

#26 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 08:29 PM

another thing i heard was that past papers weren't even given to the oublic in subjects where you could run out of questions to give students that haven't been seen before like the objective test part of Biology- at least in the old days things have changes now i think

#27 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Dave @ May 13 2004, 05:22 PM)
you will find that the actual marking scheme and the answers in past papers are compelety different.

I think they're not completely different; the answers are sent by the SQA to Leckie & Leckie who then try to make them brief - so practically they are the same.

#28 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:48 PM

I agree Ally. The marking instructions Leckie and Leckie have are exactely the same as the full ones, only made much more brief.

And I think you will find that site such as the SQA's will not be blocked by the local authority, more likely such sites like FHM etc.

AND if they were on the net, then schools would just photocopy you them and give them out, I hardly think our computing teacher would be happy at all his toner being used up! tongue.gif
Mark

#29 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:31 PM

what i am saying is that on school computers you cannot download so how can they be photocopied unless a teacher downloads them from home and then sends them in for photocopying. As for the marking schemes seriously look at a real one and the L&L ones there is a huge difference between the to not just in the 30 -40 page difference. Actuallt they could be misleading to what is expected of you in the real exam

#30 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:50 PM

I've seen a 2000 IS SQA Marking Scheme and its identical to the Leckie and Leckie past paper answers, except for the comments directed at the teachers like "allocate one mark per bullet point" or comments like that.

If you look at the Marking Instructions on the SQA website they are what is published in the Leckie and Leckie books just ommiting the marker comments

#31 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:56 PM

that's interesting because english and computing, the ones i have seen are different perhaps the larger ones have been overly condensed to a stage where they bare no resemblence to the real deal thing

However we are getting away fromthe main point of having to pay or not pay for the right to have in your possesion the old papers

#32 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:29 PM

Deifinately, and I don't know why your school isn't available to download things! Our school has, only obsence websites are blocked. If the school couldn't download then how would the teachers be able to get hold of the PA reports? or download new materials from ltscotland?

Anyone, without getting bogged down in serious argument, the last I am saying on the matter is that if I email the SQA asking them for a marking scheme, I would expect them to be able to give me some sort of real reason for not allowing me to have it.
Mark

#33 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:56 PM

I agree sparky but you must understand, everything in today's society revloves round commercial gain. The SQA can't change this, neither can the scottish parliament or the government. The only people who can change the major problem of the monopoly the past exam papers company have is the European parliament! Some how I think the monopolies commision has bigger fish to fry in Microsoft! The world is capitalist orrientated and we will just have to live with it since we are unable to change other's views!

The marking schemes are so much condensed that they do not resemble the real thing, they do give people a false view but again its all about money- its more cost effective.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#34 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 02:06 PM

oh yeah and the government have made the SQA self-financing so thats why they have to make money where ever they can

#35 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 02:09 PM

See I didnt know that but it fits in with my arguement well!

#36 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 04:31 PM

lol...isn't this such a great topic, bitching about the SQA! smile.gif I just wish sometimes they would be a bit more helpful, everything these days is made for money...even books you buy now, you have to buy separate one's for the answers! (GIBSON used to do this I am sure!)
Mark

#37 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 09:14 AM

I know, its hilarious yet anooying!! laugh.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif mad.gif

#38 burno483

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

one thing to say LOL. I got all my past papers from the school and they were that pleased that i wanted them they gave me loads! Great. Thats what you should all do, i recon. DONT WHATEVER YOU DO PAY SOME MICKY MOUSE COMPANY FOR THEM!!!

#39 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:47 PM

open market = competitors (theoretically)

in england, you have the different exam boards doing different exams and its sometimes up to the school which exam they feel it is most appropriate for the pupil to sit. I've been told by many friends from down south that the exam boards are more "customer" based rather than "SQA" based. Meanin? well, the SQA dont give a tos* if there is a problem in the paper, they just change the re-published paper (usually for the "Past Papers" collection) and the rest is history, no one says a word.. unlike the exam boards down in england where they usually end up sending apologie letters to all schools that sat their exams and keeping the school posted on what is being done to sort the problem.

P.s: one of our maths teachers resigned cos he spoke out against the SQA on a national news paper. (this is what happend after and why he resigned) He felt the SQA were too "agressive" and "harsh" when they started to monitor him at all times every year and kept hounding on him to see him make an error so that they could critisize him.

#40 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:37 AM

In other words... they're commercializing our education!?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users