Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Leckie & Leckie Monopoly - HSN forum

Leckie & Leckie Monopoly

40 replies to this topic

#1 AndyW

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 10:47 PM

Why do Leckie & Leckie have a monopoly on selling past papers? They are produced using tax payers money so why should a private company make money from them? PDFs could be put on the web for next to nothing.

#2 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:32 PM

Yes, I agree. I think the past papers are important in preparing for the exam, and the way publishers are capitalising on this is really unfair. I know of at least one site that could host some pdfs tongue.gif

#3 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:03 PM

I mentioned this in another post a while back and it is complete nonsense with the past paper books, they increased them by a pound with the only change being a glossy cover, which really makes no difference as people are going to buy them regardless of how nice it is presented.

Teachers at my school moan all the time about this, they say it was better when Gibson published the papers, well in maths anyway you don't get a Question Frequency Chart now.

All the practice questions etc are over priced too, their even costlier than the PP's usually, and there not even exam type.

Some of the gibson practice papers books (certainly H Maths and H Comp) are very useful, and were cheaper (Comp one was only £5)

Mark

#4 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 10:26 PM

Yeh I saw that mentioned in one of your posts sparky. I am really annoyed about this too. I am not made of money you know! I had to buy 5 sets of past papers myself and will again have to buy 3 sets next year! My financial situtation could really be helped if these monopolies did not capatilise on their fortune, with the retained profits leckie and leckie (or any other company for that matter) make every year you would think they'd be able to afford a drop in selling price. Of course they bank on one thing,we need those books,and since they are more of a need than a want they are able to set high prices. We wont stop buying them so they can keep doing this and every year they will get more expensive!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#5 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 08 May 2004 - 04:27 PM

you all may be missing xomething who is to say they make money out past papers to such a great extent. Ok, lots of people buy them but leackie and leackie would have had to pay for the rights and they won't be cheap and then they have to get some one who produced the paper ti check answers (not that you would know it by some of the papers)

As for example papers of course they are going ot cost the SQA spends thousands per paper paper to produce the real things so publishers will be paying the same kind of prices

no doubt selling papers keeps the burden on the taxpayers down cos we all hate paying taxes

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#6 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 05:37 PM

Gibson used to publish them a few years back, they were much cheaper. They didn't have a glossy cover though, and were all printed on white paper and the questions were compressed so that more would fit on a page.

I'd rather have it like that and have it cheaper than have some coloured paper and a glossy cover and pay £7.

But then the Leckie and Leckie ones have better answer sections (despite the mistakes!), Gibson never had answers for subjects like English, French or History.

But Leckie and Leckie are out to make a profit, so they'll charge a price we can bear, they know we'll buy them so they can make a greater profit by raising their prices.

#7 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 05:52 PM

they can't raise them too much because most departments have a bank of past papers at their disposal that people have taken out of the exam room and donated to the department.

All the school has to do is photocopy a class set or get pupils to copy questions to do as homework and leackie and leackie have been outed from the market

#8 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:54 PM

Perhaps we could write to the BBC, specifically 'watchdog' and ask them to investigate it.

Because it really is bollocks that we have to pay to sit the exam, and to see previous examples of exams. Arseholes.
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#9 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 01:08 PM

Watch your language please Martin tongue.gif
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#10 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (Steve @ May 11 2004, 01:08 PM)
Watch your language please Martin tongue.gif

I felt the words were appropriate. I apologise.

But a serious suggestion. We should write a letter/email - we could all contribute to it.
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#11 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (Martin @ May 11 2004, 02:27 PM)

But a serious suggestion. We should write a letter/email - we could all contribute to it.

Sounds like a good idea

It's a disgrace

#12 AndyW

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:59 PM

I sent a short email yesterday:

To: customer@sqa.org.uk
Subject: Past Papers

Could you tell me why past papers are sold exclusively through Leckie and
Leckie, and are not freely available to students?

It seems wrong that taxpayer's money is used to produce the papers, which
are then sold on by a private company for profit.

If I get a reply, I'll post it.

It would be interesting to hear the policy of other exam boards, e.g. in England. Although I think the SQA is a government organisation, whereas the others may be private companies.

#13 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:13 PM

Yeah just like to add my support about the cost of past papers, it is awful!!!
As some people have said they know we will buy them because they are vital for revision. Do they really think people like us at school have tht kind of money. What happened to the idea that we are not meant to work lots of hours in a job as it will affect our studies?? How else are we meant to pay for revision books and past papers. If i was to count up all the money i have spent on s. grade n higher it would be well in exces of £100.
It will b interesting if u get a reply Andy!

#14 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:00 PM

"the SQA is classified by the Scottish Executive as an Executive Non-Departmental Public Body" - so the SQA is basically a government organisation, responsible to the Scottish Executive Education Department.

Its funding comes from charges on local authorities, training providers, etc. for providing the exam service. It also receives government funding for specific purposes, eg creating a new qualification.

I suppose the past papers are another source of revenue, and it could be argued that you'll end up paying anyway since the government would have to fund it. Maybe some of the economics whizzes here could explain the power of market forces - what if there was more than one contract, and publishers could compete for our custom?

It will be interesting to see if you get a response from the SQA - they aim to have a "pro-active approach to customer enquiries".

#15 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (George @ May 11 2004, 05:00 PM)
Maybe some of the economics whizzes here could explain the power of market forces - what if there was more than one contract, and publishers could compete for our custom?

Without getting too bogged down in economic theory...

If there was more than one contract then effectively the market would be opened up to competition (in reality Leckie & Leckie isn't the ONLY supplier, as the SQA do sell them and many schools provide photocopys)

If there was more than one supplier then obviously these firms will compete for our business, which could be done on a price basis or using non-price competition e.g. quality etc.

I think for most people buying past papers they are more interested in getting them for a decent price rather than the glossy covers and coloured paper they come on. So if the market was opened up, ultimately Leckie & Leckie would have to reduce their prices to stay in the market.

It is, however, unlikely that the SQA will create another contract for publishing past papers (otherwise Gibson might still publish them alongside L&L!)

And as for the SQA's pro-active approach, lol, only when it suits them and ur not seriously questioning their procedures and policies. One word against them and suddenly they cease to exist!

#16 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:29 PM

the question you all have to ask yourself is do you want to shell out now for past papers or pay out for the rest of your working life as taxes go up to compensate for the loss of revenue becasue L&L aren't getting the contract for pennies i would expect the numbers involved will be rather large

#17 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:43 PM

Technically leckie and leckie don't have to pay anyone to check the answers, as they are just a condensed version of the Official Marking Schemes! (ie I think they just omit the commentary like "award a 1/2 mark for units" etc.)

However, the marking schemes are a mystery too, I e-mailed the SQA assking for the answers to some past papers and they said they couldn't help me! why not! They surely must have the answers!

Mark

#18 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:59 PM

the SQA are hopeless

apparently the marking schemes are "Confidential" for papers not published by Leckie and Leckie and not on their website

have u ever heard such a piece of nonsense, i'm having an ongoing battle about this with them, so's Martin I think!

so pester them about it, maybe theyll eventually give in and release them

#19 blueheaduk

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:13 PM

Perhaps it's because if they released the really old papers with answers the newer exams would be easier due to the recycling of questions. huh.gif

#20 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:22 PM

you will find that the actual marking scheme and the answers in past papers are compelety different. For a start very little alternative answers are shown so you could have said something that isn't covered in the scheme but was awarded to people in exam so the answers are checked by someone.

They also can't give out answers to past papers because of the scale of the operation, to get you answers they would have to go to a warehouse of disks and find it then post it to you which would mean a huge admin fee for someone to pay. This is the same reason you don't ever see your exam paper after the exam

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users