JOBS

75 replies to this topic

Poll: What job do you all want when u finish uni? (99 member(s) have cast votes)

What job do you all want when u finish uni?

1. Secondary Teacher (8 votes [8.08%])

Percentage of vote: 8.08%

2. Primary Teacher (4 votes [4.04%])

Percentage of vote: 4.04%

3. Doctor (14 votes [14.14%])

Percentage of vote: 14.14%

4. Lawyer (8 votes [8.08%])

Percentage of vote: 8.08%

5. Nurse (1 votes [1.01%])

Percentage of vote: 1.01%

6. Politician/MP (5 votes [5.05%])

Percentage of vote: 5.05%

7. Actor/Actress/DJ (and all things similar) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Artist/Designer (5 votes [5.05%])

Percentage of vote: 5.05%

9. Scientist/engineer/technician (all things similar) (29 votes [29.29%])

Percentage of vote: 29.29%

10. Other - plz specify (eg musician....) (25 votes [25.25%])

Percentage of vote: 25.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Lucia

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:amateur genealogist/family historian

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:13 PM

I'm really interested in History so want to do something with that. I'm not sure what though. I was thinking Curator, Archivist, or Historian maybe.
smile.gif

#42 *sofax*

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:playing the fiddle, swimming, music, the OC, Will and Grace and going out with friends. Not that there is much to do here!!

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:39 PM

i have applied to Law at glasgow, strathclyde and edinburgh, Forensic and analytic chemistry at strathclyde, arts and social sciences at strathclyde and chemistry with forensic studies at glasgow!! have no idea what i want to do though!! tongue.gif
*a wee drop of heaven*

x sophie x

#43 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:24 PM

I don't think I want to be a chemical engineer anymore!

#44 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:57 AM

I'll pay you £30 a week to tidy my room then!

Also i think i don't want to be a Games Programmer anymore!

Maybe i'll become a...

#45 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:44 PM

I've decided I'm gonna drop out of the MEng Chemical Engineering course and do something Mathematically-related, probs MSc Mathematics, or BSc Mathematics and Finances. Anything has to be better than thermophysics, thermodynamics and material balanaces. Ugh!

#46 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:24 PM

i think you're insane. you know why. but totally go for it, there's no point doing something you really don't like
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#47 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:23 PM

yes, u shud do the maths course, am enjoyin it so far...the worst part of the course has been the compulsory class i had to take 53101 - Intro. To Statistics!
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#48 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE(Paul @ Feb 7 2006, 04:23 PM)
yes, u shud do the maths course, am enjoyin it so far...the worst part of the course has been the compulsory class i had to take 53101 - Intro. To Statistics!

View Post

Wouldn't that be fun? dry.gif

#49 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:16 PM

erm, don't wanna rain on your parade, but the 2nd year follow on from that class is apparently an absolute nightmare. just thought you should start preparing yourself now....lol
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#50 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:01 PM

lol, yeh, I looked at what I would be doin in second year and wen I saw that there was a probability class, I was nearly leavin uni! lol

Even worse as its at 10pm on Mondays and Fridays! I go out nearly every sunday nite, so that is a recipe for disaster!
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#51 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:11 PM

10 PM? F*ck that for a laugh!

Actually on a Monday that would be alright. Better than a 9 AM anyway.

Or did you mean to write 10 AM? Classes at 10 PM sounds rather strange now I come to think of it.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#52 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:20 PM

yeah, 10am to me is a late start. i had 9am lectures every single day in first year & the first semester of this year!
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#53 Peter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Sports, computers, GIRLS !!!<br /><br />I like doing drama, i want to be a stage manager for a big company

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:07 PM

I put secondary teacehr but i would like to be a manger of a HUGE!! firm and earn wadds of cash. (well enough money to keep me going)
P.E.T.E.R

#54 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Feb 7 2006, 11:11 PM)
10 PM? F*ck that for a laugh!

Actually on a Monday that would be alright. Better than a 9 AM anyway.

Or did you mean to write 10 AM? Classes at 10 PM sounds rather strange now I come to think of it.

View Post

lmfao!! 10 PM!! am sucha plonker! 10am of course!

rolleyes.gif
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#55 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:18 PM

I COULD become a millionaire. An entrepeneur, a manager, something like that. I thought about it, and I realised that although it may be good money... it's not exciting. It isn't something that'd make me wanna jump out of bed every morning to go to my job.

Secondary school teacher would not be a bad choice. Dealing with kids who have brains. And when you're dealing with those who don't, they'll be gone in under an hour! Hahaha! Essentially, those two points are what makes it so appealing above primary school teaching. Also, secondary schools allows for interesting extra cirricular activities. Primary schools don't.

I clicked other, even though what I want to do links in with being an actor. Since it was lumped with DJ (????? where's the connection?????), I figured I'd not click it.
I want to, and WILL eventually work in the BBC. I will write stuff, hopefully with a friend I have yet to meet. I will then personally go through the whole process of turning into something tv-ise-able. That includes doing support stuff, acting, putting it together & editing, and pretty much everything. Which is where my chosen course at the RSAMD comes in. It does everything that supports the actors in a play, except music. Thus allowing me to understand when I'm writing, and do when it's happening all this support stuff.

Exciting. Makes me wanna jump out my bed in the morning to go to work!
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#56 *Suz*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE(herbeey @ Feb 22 2006, 07:18 PM)
Secondary school teacher would not be a bad choice. Dealing with kids who have brains. And when you're dealing with those who don't, they'll be gone in under an hour! Hahaha! Essentially, those two points are what makes it so appealing above primary school teaching. Also, secondary schools allows for interesting extra cirricular activities. Primary schools don't.

View Post

So you're implying that primary school kids don't have brains? I think that's quite a shallow comment to make considering you were once at primary school yourself. And the 'gone in under an hour' thing can have it's drawbacks. You won't be able to build up as good a relationship with the children as you would working in a primary school.

Yes i am a student primary school teacher so don't diss the profession or i'll bite back. wink.gif
You'll never bring me down, cos' i'm so far above you...

#57 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:41 PM

I've given both alot of thought. It isn't so much the fact that the secondary school kids will be gone in an hour each day, but that the primary kids will be around for a year, all day, every day. Also, it is alot more demanding doing primary school teaching. Done properly, there is a vast amount of stuff that a single teacher in a secondary school doesn't need to worry about. You have to teach kids everything, and you gotta manage them, and pretty much everything. It is good, but the appeals to secondary school is greater to me. Instead of just teaching kids, I can have more adult fun with them and more profound discussions with them. The stage they are in their lives appeals to me more, since they're learning to do things for themselves (e.g. taking subjects, and eventually choosing jobs).

Essentially, it isn't so much the lacking of the brains that my point was... just the fact that I can connect better with more mature brains. Instead of mostly dictating and teaching the kids, there is also more ample opportunity to let them tell you stuff... I hope you get what I mean.

I have more respect for a good primary school teacher, since what they do is more challenging.
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#58 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE(Wedge37 @ Feb 6 2006, 12:44 PM)
I've decided I'm gonna drop out of the MEng Chemical Engineering course and do something Mathematically-related, probs MSc Mathematics, or BSc Mathematics and Finances. Anything has to be better than thermophysics, thermodynamics and material balanaces. Ugh!

View Post

PHYSICS!!! biggrin.gif
I think I'd like to do research for a company in aviation or cars. Or work at google. smile.gif

#59 skint_student

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(Wedge37 @ Feb 6 2006, 12:44 PM)

View Post

lol don't blame you, we sneaked in to the Chem Eng cheese and wine night in the union and to be honest they were all a bit weird tongue.gif He he
Good luck with the maths stuff, the maths department at Strathclyde is great.

#60 Peachy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:11 PM

vet cool2.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users