Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Printers - HSN forum

Printers

17 replies to this topic

#1 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:20 PM

I'd really like a new printer for Christmas, I currently have an Epson Stylus C42 UX, which to put it bluntly, it rubbish.

It's very noisy, can't produce a descent printout and I just don't like it!

I'm looking for a printer somewhere in the region of <£100. And I want to be able to install those cheaper ink catridges you can buy for around £6 (i.e you don't have to buy the manufacturers ink) lol.

I never really print photographs, mostly text and stuff like that.

Any help would be appreciated. I have my eye on the 'HP PSC 1215 Multifunction Printer'

Can anyone recommend anything through person experience and the likes?

Thanks in advance.

Shaun.

#2 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:27 PM

I have an HP PSC printer and it really is very useful. Prints, Scans, and photocopies pages. Think the one I have is a slightly higher spec , its hp psc 2115.

Really HP is a very reputable company. These are fairly "newish" printers, and I don't know if they yet do reduced ink for them they probably do now! When I bought mine at first they didn't.

Looks a good deal if you just want a basic printer.
Mark

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:52 PM

yeah i have the Epson C60 i think its now the C62 same printer to all extensive purposes i personally like epson i don't know why i just do but mine has a unique cartirige think no other printer uses to proper epson replacements cost a mint but i have seem the £3 jobs available i personally don't want to risk writing my printer off so i have been refilling them with no problems

My pals however swear by HP and i have to say their load method seems to be a lot better than the top loading of Epson and most other companies

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:33 PM

I would, personally, never go for an epson again. I had one: it was crap!

HP is the best. tongue.gif

#5 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:37 PM

as long as you stay away from the lower models ie the C42 you should/will be fine but thats the same for all £20 printers isn't it

#6 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:44 PM

Yeah, though one bad thing about the HP printer is that the cartridges are quite expensive.

I think they cost 20 quid for me... I can't remember what model of printer I've got though.

#7 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:59 PM

Hey!

I bought a HP PSC 1355 about 3 weeks ago it has been quite good:

ADVANTAGES:

-costs £100
-All in one
-doesnt have to be connected to PC/Laptop to photocopy
-print speed is fast
-not too bulky in size
-has a memoery card section for digi cameras n stuff...4 different slots to suit all!
-software is good, keeps your work organised
-looks quite good
-holds 100 sheets of paper in tray
-when it prints, it does the last sheet first - so when u pick them up, they are all in order (i love how it does that!)

shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#8 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:22 AM

I have an epson R300 which I got for £99 on dabs.com I've always bought epson, they have always been very reliable.

This is perhaps more of a photo printer so is perhaps not what you are looking for...
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#9 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I have always had Epson printers, well I lie, my dad used to have an old HP Deskjet!

I'm going to continue looking, the most important thing for me is the price of ink cartridges.

#10 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:42 PM

I bought an Epson C62 about 6 months ago and im happy with it. It cost around £50 or sumin like that and it prints pages pretty quick.
I dont print out a lot, and the cartridges last me quite a long time, one of them even dried up cuz i hadnt used it. Still im not complaining the cartriges only cost me £2, so its a pretty Economical and fast printer that does the job!

cool.gif
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#11 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 04:48 AM

Definitely go for HP.

They are superior to Epson.

For photos i use an HP deskjet 970cxi but for everything else I've got an HP color laserjet. It's my big baby!
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#12 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:35 PM

i was in computing today to print out a history essay, first time since my higher, and they have a new HP laserjet

It amazing ohmy.gif like you would not believe how fast this thing printed the paper was propelled out the end

#13 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 06:12 PM

Well...I got a printer today! Went to PC World and saw the HP PSC 1355. Was £129.99, but seen it on their website for £89.99! Said to the Assistant Manager and got it for £99.99.

I'm not allowed to open it to Christmas though! I'm just glad that it's better than my C42 UX!

#14 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(fearfactor47 @ Dec 19 2004, 06:12 PM)
Went to PC World and saw the HP PSC 1355.  Was £129.99, but seen it on their website for £89.99!  Said to the Assistant Manager and got it for £99.99. 

View Post

Hah. Nice one. Isn't that false advertising?

#15 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 07:29 PM

I'm not sure - it said on their website 'Web Exclusive Price'.

#16 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 09:06 PM

in short they did nothing wrong basically they are trying to say they saved on headheads which they are passing on to you

#17 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 11:43 PM

i work in that sort of department in comet and i would prbably recommend an HP PSC 1350 - great if you have a digital camera. if not then go for a HP PSC 1215.

hope this helps

#18 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Dec 19 2004, 06:50 PM)
QUOTE(fearfactor47 @ Dec 19 2004, 06:12 PM)
Went to PC World and saw the HP PSC 1355.  Was £129.99, but seen it on their website for £89.99!  Said to the Assistant Manager and got it for £99.99. 

View Post

Hah. Nice one. Isn't that false advertising?

View Post

it isnt really false advertising. its the same with comet 'cos you get loads of people coming in looking for stuff they've seen on the net for cheaper. its just that they have less overheads and can pass the savings onto the customers.

it gets sooo annoying when they come in just to see it working before they buy it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users