Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Higher Programming - HSN forum

Higher Programming

21 replies to this topic

#1 lorna_04

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 06:49 PM

Anyone know any sites, or even jst any tips, where i can get help on programming using Visual Basic. I jst cant get the hang of it and there'll be a nab on it soon sad.gif

#2 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 06:58 PM

need more than tips me, i need a decent teacher

#3 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:35 PM

There really isn't all that much more too Higher programming than at Standard Grade. The only really new things are arrays and parameter passing. These will be explained as you get to them.

This provides Visual Basic Material :-
http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/nq/search2.as...ource=2491&vw=2

As does this :-
http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/nq/search2.as...ource=1403&vw=2

Don't know how useful these will be... If your school has access to WebCAL, then there may be some Visual Basic stuff on that! smile.gif

Hope that helps
Mark

Mark

#4 Ry4n

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:39 PM

http://www.pscode.com - source codes

http://www.visualbasicforum.com

What aspects are you struggling with?

Perhaps if you post it here someone may be able to write up an example which will explain what to do =p

Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it ....

#5 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 17 November 2004 - 10:25 PM

programming in higher is simply an extention to SG although i could be argued(just) that using VB puts you at a disadvantage to us old timer using UNICOMAL wacko.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#6 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 05:41 PM

UNICOMAL

COMAL? That's the programming language we used!

#7 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 05:43 PM

yeah its like 30 years old but it does the job and is really good for teaching pupils the basic concepts of modular programming sadly tho thats about it

#8 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 05:58 PM

I think it's a cross between BASIC and PASCAL. :: sigh :: I miss Higher Computing.

#9 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 10:55 PM

it is indeed the idea was to mix and match languages to create the prefect training language that was still useable as a language as opposed to a toy like turtle graphics

to an extent i suppose VB is the same idea really just more to teaching OOP instead of procedural

#10 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:02 PM

we did COMAL as well, heh. Not a language you could have much fun with.

#11 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:19 PM

Yes but COMAL was simple to illustrate the theory of the ideas. I liked using COMAL.
Mark

#12 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:49 PM

i tell you if you think higher programmin gis hard you should see the AS level practical task which involves programming tho you can do it using access i got it off the AGA website its called Terrys Turkeys and basically it requires you to create a solution to replace his manual record-keeping with a computer based one for ordering christmas turkeys

#13 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:56 PM

I jst cant get the hang of it and there'll be a nab on it soon 

The NAB on soft dev is on standard programming concepts and not the language used in class. So you need to know standard algorithms, functions, parameter passing, modular programming and development cycle to name but a few

#14 krazykooki

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:47 PM

jus thought that id point out that sayin that higher programmin is an extension of SG isnt much help to ppl like me who didnt do SG i did I2 info sys in 3rd an 4th yr so im kinda doin a crash higher wen it comes to programin an its nice to no im not the only one who thinks its a nightmare

#15 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:05 PM

what language are you using

believe me the higher programming is really straight forward ok it might take you a while to get used to it and i have to say in 3rd year i kinda had trouble but i got the language and within a week i was well ahead of the class really for the school stuff its all about getting the practice in

#16 tonyh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:55 PM

If I had to sum up how to learn to program (in any language) it would be to learn how variables are used and then how a program can follow the Input-Process_Output chain.

In VB, you declare a variable by saying something like:

Dim radius as integer
Dim area as single

This creates a space in memory, called 'height' which can hold whole numbers. You could also choose strings, char, boolean, single etc.

Most programs up to Higher then require you to get some info into the program, process it in some way and output it to the screen.

The easiest way to get inputs is to use input boxes:

radius=InputBox("Please enter radius of the circle")

This causes a wee pop up box to appear, prompting you to enter a value which is stored in the variable.

Processing is then usually done by assigning values to variables:

area = 3.14 * radius * radius

Outputting results is achieved by writing to labels:

label1.text = "The area of the circle is " & area

Practice writing simple arithmetic programs e.g. write a program which asks the user to enter three numbers, multiplies them together and outputs the result.

The code above is valid for VB .Net, codes for VB v6 might be a little different.

Hope this helps, if you would like more help I could add a post on how to use subprograms and parameters - that should be about enough to complete this year's Higher coursework task.

Tony

#17 SomethingTypical

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 10:50 PM

If you could add more then that would be great, I'm struggling a bit with parameters etc, mainly chapter 8.

#18 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:mm.... to lazy to say

if your really interested you can just ask!

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:30 PM

we used the classic langauge that is TRUE BASIC. Ooh the joys we had sitting programing!!

You don't get asked to write any thing in a programming language in your exam anyway just on the theory, or so i have been lead to believe. Mind you our teacher isn't the best ever! Breath smells and he says "flipping" alot!
An example:

"What you flipping doin' Lad! This is a flipping higher course not a 20 metre swimming certificate!"

and, when discribing Floating point methord, i quote: "say you want to hold a really flipping small number, i don't know, say if you wanted to hold the size of a flippin' midge's willy....."

Only three in my class got a pass in the prelim, but i got an A rolleyes.gif , my only one mind!

We need a new teacher! And what is it that it is always physics teachers and computing teachers whom have the worst breath? might not help that he drinks brine either. Is that normal? Is that even safe?

#19 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:24 PM

its interesting

anyway yes it true in exams its only algorithms that you get in exams that can be written using any design methodolgy ie psudeocode, flow charts etc

#20 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:22 PM

It's also posssible really just to learn the standard algorithm for each of these, and then just pick variable names to suit the question!
Mark

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users