Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Course content - HSN forum

Course content

12 replies to this topic

#1 blueheaduk

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:53 PM

I'm down for a crash higher biology next year. Anyone got any info on what's in the course? Also any info on Human Bio. and differences would be helpful. smile.gif

Cheers

#2 Vazza

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:49 PM

Hi there
This is what is in the course

Unit 1 Cell Biology
  • Cell structure in realation to function
  • Photosynthesis
  • Energy release - role of ATP and production/ Respiration reactions
  • Synthesis and release of proteins - Deals with DNA, RNA, protein synthesis etc.
  • Cellular response in defence in animals and plants - Viruses/Cellular defence mechanisms (animals)/Cellular defence mechanisms(plants)

Unit 2 Gentetics and Adaptation
  • Variation - how it comes about really
  • Selection and speciation
  • Animals and plant adaptations

Unit 3 Control and Regulation
  • Control of growth adn developement
  • Homeostasis- How the body regulates different things
  • Population dynamics

These are all the things covered in the higher. I think the only difference between Higher biology and human biology is that the human biology is more focused on units 1 & 2 but don't quote me on that.

#3 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:12 PM

Here is some stuff about Human Biology, i didnt take the subject but hope it helps.

Human Biology: Higher

Why Human Biology?

Human Biology has wide range of appeal and interest because of its relevance to people. The course is designed to enable you to develop an understanding of the way biological principles can be applied to many issues facing individuals and society today, such as health care and increasing population. The biological skills and knowledge you acquire will help you to become a confident citizen in a technological world where Biology has a crucial role to play.

Entry to the Course

This is at the discretion of the school/college but you would normally be expected to have attained one of the following

Standard Grade Biology at Credit level
Intermediate 2 Biology at C pass or above.

Course Outline

The course is made up of three 40 hour units plus 40 hours flexible time.

Cell Function and Inheritance

This unit provides knowledge and understanding of

the role of enzymes in cell metabolisms
protein synthesis
energy transfer
cell transport
cellular response in defence
inheritance.
The Continuation of Life

reproduction
development
transport mechanisms
delivery of materials to cells
removal of materials from the blood
regulating mechanisms
Behaviour, Populations and the Environment

nervous system and memory
behaviour
population growth and the environment.

Core Skills

H Problem Solving (Critical Thinking, Planning and Organising, Reviewing andEvaluating)
H Numeracy (Using Graphical Information)

Assessment

The units are assessed internally by the teacher/lecturer and the course by external examination, set and marked by the SQA.

Progression

Successful completion of this course may lead to

Advanced Higher in

Biology

Higher in

Managing Environmental Resources
Biotechnology

A Scottish Group Award at Higher in

Science
Hairdressing & Beauty Services/Beauty.

Education (HNC/HND/Degree); Employment in

Hairdressing & Beauty
Health & Medicine
Manufacturing Industries
Science & Mathematics
Social, Caring & Advisory Services
Sports & Leisure

Good luck
cool.gif

`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#4 Jane1987

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:15 PM

I did standard grade bio and am now doing higher (exam on wed eeekk!!) but lots of people at my sschool do crash courses. its one of the only subjects you dont need stagdrad grade! u shud be fine. I'd say you have to learn the monohybrid cross then itll take u onto the dyhybrid cross ... they teach you both in higher but try and get the hang of it because it's quite confusing but easy when u get 2 understand it! Our teacher just assumed we'd all done SG and totally overlooked monohybrid cross and some were left totally confused!!!

#5 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:18 PM

My Bio is on Wed too!

#6 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:12 PM

Crash Higher Biology should be alright for you. At bits you might not get what's going on so you should ask or get a standard grade book, but really it's not that hard! Human Biology covers about a third of the ordinary Bio course but has more in it about the brain and blood etc I think! If u need information check the sqa website.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#7 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 09:10 PM

Hey!

I'm doing Higher Biology next year (S6) having done standard grade last year (S4). I found the notes for every other subject helpful - is there any chance of getting a Biology section up here because I've heard from others the course is quite detailed.

Laura xxx

rolleyes.gif

#8 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 09:13 PM

We'd like to add a Higher Biology section, but we are relying on contributions to achieve this. If anyone is willing and able, please get in touch with me!

#9 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 23 May 2004 - 11:09 PM

I'm crashing Higher Biology next year along with 3 advanced highers, argh. A nice rest from 6 highers this year!
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#10 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 08:57 AM

Thats not a lot anyway.

I crashed Biology this year and it's nothing, nor is 6 Highers especially if there are certain Highers.

#11 emma87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 12:39 PM

i did crash biology this year (5th year) and i found it one of my easier exams. The problem i think is going to be that since the exam woz quite easy i think they will raise the A grade margin to a ridiculously high margin. Any thoughts?

#12 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 04:48 PM

Hey smile.gif

Did anyone here do Higher Human Biology this year? If so, how did you find the exam?

#13 Pidgy2001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 01:37 PM

I Did higher bio last year and found it quite challanging esp. the essays. the only thig i would say about Higher human is that some uni's specifically ask for higer biology and not human well so i was told any way lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users