Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Help regarding political progress - HSN forum

Help regarding political progress

7 replies to this topic

#1 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:50 PM

Hey, I've been checking these forums out for a bit. Thought I would make good use of the knowledge of some of you guys! smile.gif

I have a nab tomorrow ( I think, I was off school for a funeral missing the real date, anyway..) and one of the topics I'm not too strong in is talking about political progress, basically because it requires facts that the books don't seem to cover. Anyone know where I can find info, would be great help!

#2 Ry4n

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:59 PM

Is it political process of ethinic minorities in the us? if so...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/education/bi..._USA4_rev.shtml

#3 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:12 PM

wow, thanks, good to see another Ryan smile.gif . I wonder how many marks that content would be worth though.. I think I'll take some notes from it though.

#4 natalie1062

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:39 PM

Hey, sorry if this is a bit late! Did you do your NAB today? I sat my NAB on political progress last week and I included the following:

1)More ethnic minorities are registering as voters and, over previous years,this number has increased significantly...60% of Blacks have registered as well as 40% of Hispanics. Increase perhaps mainly due to the introduction of the Voting Rights Act in 1965 and the many voter registration campaigns that have been carried out.
However, ethnic minorities are still less likely to vote than whites - the main reasons for this due to socio-economic factors (ie. expand upon less educational attainment). Also due to loss of faith and apathy towards the system among ghetto dwellers; they feel that the system will not benefit them and that their vote will make no difference. Furthermore many Hispanics cannot vote due to illegal status. Hispanics that are viable to vote may not be able to do so due to language difficulties as forms can be complicated to complete. The main point is that less people vote than register; compared with the registration figures, only 14% of voters are African Americans and 7% are Hispanic.

2)There has been some improvement in ethnic minority representation at Congressional level. In 1997 in the House of Representatives the number of African Americans had risen to 37 and Hispanics, 18. The Senate also contained one Black Senator, two Asian/Pacific islanders and one native american. They then accounted for 11% of Congress. Colin Powell, an African American, was also accepted as secretary of state.
But, minorities are still underrepresented; ethnic minorities make up 30% of the population but only 11% of Congress. No member of an ethnic minority group, African American or Hispanic, has ever been elected as President or even as a candidate for the Republicans or Democrats. Therefore ethnic minorities' progress has been poor at national level.

3)There is improved representation at local level, especially city level - due to large concentrations of ethnic minorities in inner cities and perhaps due to 'white flight'. There are approx 9000 Black and 5000 Hispanic mayors and elected officials nationwide where they are most evident in the Southern and Western states at local level.
However, due to the enormity of the problems faced by inner cities and the shrinking income from tax due to the flight of more prosperous middle class whites, ethnic minority councils often struggle to deal with these problems so disappointment and apathy set in amongst ethnic minority populations.

4)There is evidence of 'crossover candidates'- minority candidates elected with white votes, especially at local government level. Wilder became the first Black state governer, gaining 60% of the White vote in Virginia. So racism appears to be lessening from previous years.
But racism is still highly evident and there is still a reluctance for whites to vote for ethnic minority candidates. Reference to welfare scroungers, crime and attacks on affirmative action etc. are understood by many americans to be aimed at Blacks and Hispanics.

5)Ethnic minority votes tend to go to the Democratic party - approx 80% of African American votes and 70% of Hispanic votes. Ethnic minority voters played an important part in the election of President Clinton.
However, refer back to the fact that the votes of African Americans and Hispanics are still minimal compared to whites, 14% and 7% respectively.

That is basically the main points that I made (assuming you are doing a LO2 question?) but I'd be sure to double check the figures! Good luck anyway!

Nat.

#5 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:08 PM

Nope! never did nab yesterday. As I said I had missed the original sitting so i was basically revising incase he gave me it, but he set the date for this thursday, this info is very much appreciated.

#6 Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 03:27 PM

hey,
there is a book you can get:
Higher Modern Studies
by Barry Graham and David Wilson
and it's £5.50

hope that helps for the course and good luck for your nab

S

#7 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 07:49 PM

Hm, do you know if they sell it in waterstones? I'll look out for it.

By the way, I passed the nab with a good pass, hooray.

#8 Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 11:26 AM

yeah you get it in waterstones.
Congratulations on passing ur nab
S smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users