Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Section Two of the exam - HSN forum

Section Two of the exam

28 replies to this topic

#1 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 08:44 PM

I just wondered what people thought of this section? For me it is the hardest section of the exam.

Section 1 - fairly straight forward
Section 3 - I am doing AI which my teacher says "learn the termonlogy and it will be ok"
He says the pitfall is section 2!!

I would agree, some years there are what I would class as simpler questions while other years ask you horrible stuff about arrays and parameter passing (see other topic)

Just wondered what people preferred! Are the parameter passing/array q's the hardest? They are for me!

Mark :lol:
Mark

#2 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 10:09 PM

I thought that
Section 1 was no bad
Section 2 was prettty easy the programing n the stuff about parameter passing.
(I tht it ws easier than section 1)
Section 3 im doing networking, -_- pretty boring, but really easy stuff!!
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#3 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 08:41 PM

Have you had your prelim?
Mark

#4 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 08:49 PM

:D Nope its 2 weeks 2 day!!

user posted image

#5 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 09:12 PM

Thats exactely the same date as mine. I have my AI nab tommorow and then we are doing practice papers in the class.
We have finished the course.
Mark

#6 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:08 PM

Kool i got my networking NAB next thursdy.
Ive just finished doing the networking unit and have started the investigations.
Hav u started ur investigation?

user posted image

#7 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 06:05 PM

What are the investigations?
We have done all the practical nabs so I think that covers all the investigation work.

What are you's doing in the class up to the prelim? We are working through past papers! Has anyone been given out any other sample prelim papers etc?
I think the Computing exam is fairly straightforward with a good bit of revision! Section 2 will be where I am dropping most of my marks tho!

Mark B)
Mark

#8 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 08:52 PM

I was thinking today about factors that affect system performance

Width of data bus
Cache
Number of registers

Are there any other factors???And how do you explain the effect that cache has on it?

Mark
Mark

#9 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:06 PM

The amount of cache a processor has affects performance because it does not require the processor to fetch from memory (which takes a relatively long time compared to reading from cache). So the more cache the less memory read operations are needed.

The ones you mentioned are really the main ones although you could also mention CPU clock speed - the more clock cycles per second, the higher the number of instructions which can be processed.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#10 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 08:48 PM

What are all the different pieces of code etc you need to know?

Conditional Loops
WHILE...END WHILE
REPEAT UNTIL

Iterative Loops
FOR NEXT

Control Conditions/Statements
IF THEN ELSE ENDIF

What is a CASE function??? :S don't remember using that one!

And is the pass mark for an A about 70/100???

Mark :)
Mark

#11 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 12:05 PM

The pass mark for an A in most all Higher subjects (as far as I know) is about 70% - but they change depending on how hard the paper is.

In 2003's Higher Computing exam (the one I did!) you needed:
  • 69% for an A
  • 58% for a B
  • 47% for a C
and in 2002 you needed:
  • 70% for an A
  • 59% for a B
  • 48% for a C
It might be a good idea to try these papers (if you have access to them) to see how you would do.

As far as pieces of code you need to know - well you don't really need to know any of them. You need to be aware of the basic things like:
  • Conditional loops - eg REPEAT..UNTIL and WHILE..ENDWHILE
  • Unconditional lopps - eg FOR..NEXT
  • Control structures - eg IF..THEN..ENDIF and the CASE statement
All this means that if you are asked to design a very small piece of code (which happens occasionally - 2003 Question 18e) using psuedocode or whatever that you can do it. Having a good general grasp of programming will mean that you hardly even have to think about this question.

2003 Question 18e
One module of the program will take a tree name from the user and will count all occurrences of that name in the current list of trees. The module will return the number of times the name appears in the list or zero if the name is not found. Using psuedocode or otherwise, write a detailed algorithm for this process - 2 marks

The answer to this could be:

set occurrences = 0
FOR counter = 1 to maxarray
IF tree$(position) = tree_to_be_searched$ THEN increment occurrences
NEXT counter
Display occurrences

(REPEAT could be used instead of FOR)

#12 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 12:41 PM

The CASE statement

In some programs, you might have lots of possible values of a viariable which you want to mean something. (eg a program where the user enters a number from 1 to 9 and display the number in text form (9 -> Nine) could use a CASE statement.)

If the number to be displayed it stored in the variable called input, this program would look something like this (in COMAL):

CASE input OF
WHEN 1
PRINT "one"
WHEN 2
PRINT "two"
WHEN 3
PRINT "three"
WHEN 4
PRINT "four"
WHEN 5
PRINT "five"
WHEN 6
PRINT "six"
WHEN 7
PRINT "seven"
WHEN 8
PRINT "eight"
WHEN 9
PRINT "nine"
ENDCASE

The same output could be achived with IF statements but the code would be much longer and more complicated.

#13 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 03:21 PM

So you could write that loop in almost english (Pseudo Code) and still get the same marks if you wrote it in COMAL?
I don't think I could write that proper code in an exam!!

I find the questions hard where it says "Identify the parameters needed in design stages and state their types and how they will be passed" - thank goodness they are not asked every year! I think they were asked in 2002!!!

Mark :P
Mark

#14 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 08:56 PM

Has any one had their prelim for Computing?

Steve what was yours like last year? Similar to past paper kinda questions? Some questions do repeatedly crop up I'd say.

Mark :D
Mark

#15 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:14 PM

I can't really remember what exactly the questions were like, but they were definitely exam style questions. I think it was a Perfect Papers prelim.

And about the design of the code, you could write it in psuedocode - in fact they would probably prefer it, although I think you would get full credit if you did it in code - as long as it was right :D.

Have you still got your prelim to sit? All the prelims at my school finished two weeks ago, although ours are only on Unit 1 and 2.

#16 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:20 PM

This is my last prelim, and is one of the last in our school. PE isn't until march I don't think!

Its the way the marking scheme is in computing! Do you need to right exactely what is said in the marking scheme or are there other valid answers??

Our teacher said he made the prelim himself, taking the idea's etc from Perfect Papers I think!

Section One should be ok. Section two, I never know if I have wrote enough to get the marks! Section 3 - I do AI - is fairly straighforward, recurring questions come up all the time

Mark
Mark

#17 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:28 PM

I had my prelim on wednesday, it was the Perfect Papers 2004 paper.
I thought it was not bad, the questions on software development were pretty hard.
Shud get my results next week. :D

user posted image

#18 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 08:27 PM

I had my Computing Prelim yesterday. I think it was a Perfect Papers one, but I couldn't tell you what year.

I got section one back today and got 28/30.

I didn't think the prelim was too bad! Were a few tricky questions in section two, AI section was ok, apart from a few 4 or 5 marks I'll have dropped!

good luck to any one else sitting theirs!
Mark

#19 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:53 PM

Hey.

I definetly think section two is the hardest. I do Multimedia for the optional unit which is mostly straightforward as the questions are always on the same things. The fact that section two is out of 40 is a b*tch as it is the section where I'll lose most marks - I did in my prelim.

Only 5 days to go now guys!

Laura xxx

#20 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 02:20 PM

The mandatory q's are usually fairly straight forward in section 2, it's usually the optional q's that throw me, when they start asking for parameters and their types! smile.gif
Mark

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users